KinesicMouse v3.2 beta

KinesicMouse forum
Xcessity
Site Admin

KinesicMouse v3.2 beta

Post by Xcessity »

Hello everyone,

I am glad to announce that I am in the finish line getting the new version 3.2 of the KinesicMouse ready for release.

KinesicMouse v3.2.0 beta (Kinect V2 version)
KinesicMouse v3.2.0 beta (Intel RealSense version)
EDIT (12.Oct. 15): release is now available via website

The most important feature is a new stabilization filter for mouse cursor movement. After many failed attempts I finally found something that does a great job at keeping the cursor responsive and stable at same time. So this is something I would greatly appreciate your feedback on. Just install the new version and the filter is already in place. You can tweak it to your liking by adjusting the "Smoothing"-sliders in the Signals settings for "rotation (up)" and "rotation (left)". The filter should also consider variations in the current FPS, but works best with 30 or more FPS.

So far these other changes are included:
  • new signals added: mouth smile, eye blink (both)
  • new macro commands: SENSORYSWITCH for interaction with "The Grid", SHELLCOMMAND to execute shell commands
  • ClickSwitch, new feature that switches back to the Left Click if any other click type has been performed
  • Cursor speed is now normalized by the users Windows mouse pointer speed settings.
  • Tutorial when first starting the KinesicMouse
  • Privacy notification when first starting the KinesicMouse
  • The RealSense version now checks if the Intel Depth Camera Manager (DCM) service is running properly
There are some changes that I want to pack into the new release but are not quite finished yet.

So let me know what you think about the new cursor stabilization,
Best,

Markus
Xcessity
Site Admin

Re: KinesicMouse v3.2 beta

Post by Xcessity »

Hey,

just uploading a new build with added features. Use the same links as above.
  • acceleration settings for joystick axes
  • recenter can now be triggered via a signal
There is one more thing I want to build before the official release. I am very excited to get this one into your hands. I think there are quite some improvements.

Cu soon,
Best,

Markus
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

New daily build of version 3.2 is now online including:
  • tweaked head rotation signal filter for more stability and responsiveness
  • the new signal filter can now be turned off, if you want to use the previous filtering process
Ikonos

Post by Ikonos »

So I downloaded the new version and my system said that I already had a version installed on the computer. So I uninstalled my previous version and installed version 3.2 and upon start up a message pops up saying that Intel real sense DCM is not available and to follow instructions at the website. However, I hit ignore and the program runs fine. Is there anything I need to worry about, or just ignore the pop-up?
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Hi,

thank you for the feedback. Well the popup shouldn't occur if the DCM just runs fine. I will look into that. Which version of the DCM do you have installed?

You can look up that number:
  • Go to Start and search for "Programs and features"
  • Scan the list of programs for "Intel RealSense Depth Camera Manager F200"
  • To the right you will see a column with the version number (eg 1.4.27.41944)
Thank you very much for the feedback.
Ciao
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Fixed a bug where the KinesicMouse would not start even if the "autostart" option is activated in the settings.
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Just uploaded a new beta release version 3.2.1.
  • macros now support playing sound files.
  • check boxes from the settings menu are now bigger and have been aligned to the UI design.
  • high precision mode has been added for targeting small UI elments with the mouse cursor
  • keyboard shortcuts can now be assigned in the keyboard settings
  • recenter by signal settings moved to mouse cursor settings tab (Nov. 4th, 2015)
Downloads:
KinesicMouse v3.2.1
X-Calibar

Post by X-Calibar »

If using the mouse scroll, for instance, and I get the red smiley of doom, it won't stop scrolling while red, but uncontrollably scroll in a direction.
(I am getting the red smiley when trying to use Tobii EyeX and Kinect together. Trying to find an ideal position... where it won't interfere too badly with EyeX/Iris.)

Also, is there a way to bind a keyboard shortcut to temporarily disable the Kinect camera/high CPU use, if for some reason you aren't using it, but aren't cutting off the PC right then? I can just close and restart it if needed, but just an idea. (Might be a good idea to set the time between switching on or off to 5 second delay between repeat uses, and initially set to NONE)

If you use the keyboard shortcut for Recenter, no timer appears in the KM window for amount of time to stay still. Not important, but thought I'd mention it.

EDIT: Not much of an issue, but if Project Iris has a key already bound to it, you have to close Iris to bind the same key to KM. (Like mouse jump!)
Also, after *much stress* from the red smiley of doom, I realized your recommendations on Kinect positioning and distance are VERY important! I bought a TV mount to use that placed the Kinect at the top of the screen, but I've gotten better results underneath the Tobii EyeX, so they match your pictures on the website. Interference with the EyeX is manageable in this spot.
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

@X-Calibar:

thanks for the input and sharing your findings. Just a few comments on that:

If you recenter via shortcut, the recenter snapshot happens instantly. So there is no timer involved. Personally I found this very useful when testing with people using the KM.

CPU consumption may soon be solved so you would not need such a function.
X-Calibar

Post by X-Calibar »

@Xcessity -
Ah. And about the CPU, that would be great!

So, I've been using KM a bit more and had a question and a suggestion.

Question: Can you think of a reason why a virtual Macro arrow key wouldn't work for a game?
In particular I was trying to make a rapid fire down button macro. It worked in Windows programs like notepad, but not recognized as input from the game (Cave Story+).
Also, a non-macro down button by Kinesic Mouse works just fine in-game.

Code: Select all

<MACRO id="CSRapid_Key2">
    <START>
      <KEYINPUT behaviour="PRESS" type="VIRTUAL_CODE" code="0x28"/>
    </START>

<MAIN repeat="x">
      <WAIT time="100ms"/>
      <KEYINPUT behaviour="PRESS" code="0x28"/>
      <WAIT time="100ms"/>
      <KEYINPUT behaviour="RELEASE" code="0x28"/>
    </MAIN>

<END>
      <KEYINPUT behaviour="RELEASE" type="VIRTUAL_CODE" code="0x28"/>
    </END>
  </MACRO>
Suggestion: It would be handy to have an on-screen circular HUD, something very basically resembling a plane's altitude scope as a general concept.
For example, when I was playing Cave Story, full-screen, I used head movements; rotation and tilt for some pin point actions. It was hard at times since I had to guess what state my head tilt was triggering.
If there was a small (resizeable?) on-screen HUD that was transparent and had a vertical line that moved horizontally to show what rotation state I was in (like an interpretation of the Signals value), left or right, and a horizontal line for up and down (or perhaps a single vertical line, that moves on a circular plot and tilts for tilt?

I know I can have the Signal page open and use that as a reference, but that would be my suggestion/wishlist request, that could be useful.