Which camera should I use?

KinesicMouse forum
Grossepierre

Which camera should I use?

Post by Grossepierre »

Hello everyone,
I just found this website and I have some questions about the Kinesic Mouse.
Does this product work on a PC with Windows 11 or is it now only for IOS devices?
If the Kinesic Mouse can work on a PC, where can I buy the most suitable camera?
Thank you for your upcoming answers.
Bruno.
Xcessity
Site Admin

Re: Which camera should I use?

Post by Xcessity »

Hi Bruno,

this product is for controlling a Windows PC. The KinesicMouse LIVE already supports Windows 11.
The KinesicMouse LIVE uses an iPhone as camera device. Any iPhone X or above featuring Apple Face ID works as sensor. For trying the KinesicMouse LIVE you can maybe borrow an iPhone and check out the software. You can get a used iPhone for cheap and just use it as a dedicated KinesicMouse sensor device.

Hope that helps,
Best,
M
Grossepierre

Post by Grossepierre »

Hello,
Thank you for your answer.
If I understood correctly, we use an iPhone as a webcam and it communicates with the PC?
If that's right, you have to be in front of the iPhone and at the same time have a view of the PC screen?
I'm sorry if I have trouble understanding, I'm French and I'm not an expert in English.
Thanks again for your help.
Bruno.
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Bonjour Bruno,

yes, exactly that. Think of the iPhone as an advanced webcam. It is placed below your screen and tracks your facial expressions. The iPhone sends the data to your Windows PC with the KinesicMouse LIVE running.

Best,
M
Grossepierre

Post by Grossepierre »

Hello,
One last piece of information.
If I find a used Kinetc v2 webcam, is it possible to use the Kinesic Mouse v3 software for PC even if this software is no longer available?
Just to test.
Thank you for your patience.
Bruno.
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Hello Bruno,

the newest KinesicMouse LIVE does not support the Kinect v2 camera. That is mainly because Microsoft does no longer support/create this device. You can try to get it running using the old version from the Download Archive. It might be difficult to get the Kinect drivers, but the version still works.

You need the Kinect Runtime for Windows 10 installed.
I think this only works on Windows 10 and not on a Windows 11. Just give it a try. Maker sure that your face must maintain a certain distance to the camera. The Kinect does not pick up depth below 1m very well.

Best,
M
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Hi Bruno,

on another note, there is a French association that uses my software. They are called capgame.fr. You can get in touch with HESSEL Guillaume, he knows the kinesicmouse very well, maybe it's worth talking to him in French language.

Best,
M
Grossepierre

Post by Grossepierre »

Thank you very much for all this information which is very useful to me.
I really appreciate your help.
Bruno.
tetedetoile

Post by tetedetoile »

Hello Grossepierre,

Si tu as des questions à propos du Kinesic Mouse, je peux volontiers y répondre en français.

Surtout, n'hésite pas !

Bonne journée !