Compatiibility with VR Headsets with Tobii eye tracking

cfta

Compatiibility with VR Headsets with Tobii eye tracking

Post by cfta »

Hello Markus,

Great to see the work your have done with your projects. I am wondering if you have any plans to adapt Project Iris to also function with VR headsets, when connected to a PC, which use Tobii's eye tracking?

Currently the headsets listed here use Tobii eye tracking; https://www.tobii.com/products/integration/xr-headsets, unfortunately those are not among the most sold VR headsets but...

Playstation VR2 has been confirmed to relase in February 2023 with a price around € 600 and will use Tobii for eye tracking. It is unknown if PSVR2 will have native compatibility with PC but it is not necessarily a big deal since it is possible to use the existing PSVR with PC using 3rd party software, most likely it will be just as easy for PSVR2.

Looking forward to your reply :)
RE-GAMER

Re: Compatiibility with VR Headsets with Tobii eye tracking

Post by RE-GAMER »

Most likely you wont get an answer. But it is a good question.
Xcessity
Site Admin

Re: Compatiibility with VR Headsets with Tobii eye tracking

Post by Xcessity »

Hello cfta,

of course this would be a nice input modality to use eyetracking inside a VR or AR headset. Currently I don't know any device that has an open programming API. You need access to the eyetracking data to perform inputs. It is also difficult in terms of user interface and operating system. I think currently there is not a really defined environment for me to work with. Playstation VR headset will not be open for (single) developers.
As the ecosystem of headsets evolves, I think there might be a promising device in the future, we will have to wait and see.

Best,
M