Thank you! + video?

KinesicMouse forum
JD1

Thank you! + video?

Post by JD1 »

First of all, I just want to say thank you to Markus for developing such a unique and creative piece of "build your own interface" software. After about a month of daily use and a slight learning curve, Kinesic mouse has legitimately enabled me to do my job pain-free, in an open office environment, no less. I have a medical issue with utilizing both of my forearms for long periods of time at the computer and the relief this has brought is no less than life-changing. While I still have to make regular use of a keyboard for business communication, this has drastically cut down on my "hand time" during the day for pointing and clicking related tasks. On a day to day basis I have been tweaking the interface and the facial gesture tolerances to work for my specific needs, and I think it is just about ready for prime time.

That said - how do I go about recording a video of myself utilizing the kinect and kinesic mouse interface, similar to your YouTube videos? I know what to do on the screen capture side, but for real world photography will the kinect camera work with WebCam software and also operate as a mouse? Or do I need to use a separate WebCam to record video of myself? I was considering doing this because my usage of the device is somewhat unique, given that it is used in a daily business sense to just operate a computer and might help to benefit others as well.

Markus, thank you again. I don't know what got you started on this path, but I'm glad you did.

Jared
Xcessity
Site Admin

Re: Thank you! + video?

Post by Xcessity »

Hi Jared,

thank you very much for your feedback. I am unable to express how much motivation I draw from such postings. This is what keeps me motivated through all these years.

You are absolutely right about the learning curve. I still lack proper material, like tutorials and a complete written manual. There are just no resources I can spare right now to get these things done. With time we will get there.

I would really, really love to see your setup in action. Videos are just great to show how people in a similar situation could benefit from this software. For screen capture I use a program called "Camtasia". There are other freeware screen capture apps out there, but these where really frustrating to use. In most of my tutorial videos I just capture my desktop and keep the KinesicMouse main window open so that people can see my face.

If you want you can provide the raw material and I can edit it together. You would need to provide the raw video material. Do some desktop screen captures and maybe a few scenes showing the setup using a decent smartphone camera. Just upload these videos to youtube in a decent resolution and I will do the editing if you want.
JD1

Re: Thank you! + video?

Post by JD1 »

Gah!

What was I thinking? Of course... I can just use camtasia and leave the window open! I've used that before, I should know better. Brain fart.

Anyway, I will get to that in the near future. I'll send you an email with any video content before YouTube to get your blessing.

Btw, congrats on your win. I was so excited to see that news.

Take care,

Jared