Excited for KinesicMouse!

KinesicMouse forum
slamajam

Excited for KinesicMouse!

Post by slamajam »

Hello, excited to finally get my hands on a copy of KinesicMouse!

Just a couple of questions:

1.) I don't currently have an iPhone with Face ID. If I was shooting for optimal performance, which model which you recommend. The latest?

2.) I use Project IRIS on a daily basis, of course, with a Tobii eye tracker (4c and 5 across multiple machines). Does the infrared from the iPhone interfere and reduce the performance of the eye tracker and vice versa? And if so is there a positioning for the iPhone that you recommend to mitigate this?

Excited to finally have enough input navigate 3D space again with this!
Xcessity
Site Admin

Re: Excited for KinesicMouse!

Post by Xcessity »

Hello slamajam,

1.) From the reports I got from the beta tests, the performance of tracking is the same for all iPhone models featuring Apple FaceID. Even the iPhone X has the same performance as the iPhone 13. So if you plan on getting a dedicated iPhone for just using it as a tracking device, I would buy a used iPhone X with a True Depth camera! They are fairly cheap nowadays.

2.) I have tested the KinesicMouse LIVE together with the tobii ET5. There is no interference at all. I cannot tell for the 4c as I don't have the device any more.

I always recommend borrowing an iPhone with Face ID to try the KinesicMouse LIVE first, before making the investment. Maybe you have a friend or relative that owns such a model.

Best,
M
tetedetoile

Post by tetedetoile »

Hi,

I've bought an Iphone XR for the occasion. I am team Android :). The XR was the cheapest model I found with FaceID, renewed on Amazon.
It works perfectly fine. I've plugged it through USB to my computer to keep the battery up.

I also have an Eyex 4c and Iris (I'm waiting for the new version of Iris before buying the Eye Tracker 5) and I haven't noticed any interference. I've put the Iphone on a flexible mount (Amazon too) above the computer screen.

Regards,
slamajam

Post by slamajam »

Just played with it with a friend's phone. Very impressed. IPhone ordered.
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Sounds great, drop me an email if you need an extension of your trial time. Plz include the device id, that is displayed when you run out of demo days.

Best,
M