[URGENT] Issue: A referral was returned from the server

Xcessity
Site Admin

[URGENT] Issue: A referral was returned from the server

Post by Xcessity »

Hi,

currently there is something wrong with the code signing certificate of the KinesicMouse and Iris. The certificate expired although I paid for the renewal back in December. I am working on fixing this issue. As it looks like you will need to update. I will keep you posted when a fix is ready.

Best,
Markus
gamesxcess

Re: [URGENT] Issue: A referral was returned from the server

Post by gamesxcess »

Hi,

it's good to know that you're working on it. Isn't there a way that windows don't need the certification?

Best,
Patrick
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Hey,

after quite some sweat I could finally resolve the isse. It was not possible to fix the issue without the need for an update. So to continue using any Xcessity software you need to download the software again and install the newest version.

For the KinesicMouse go to: http://kinesicmouse.com/demo_download.php
For IRIS go to: http://iris.xcessity.at

Read on if you want to know the details:
My software requires special elevated user rights to run on Windows. To enable this elevated mode Microsoft requires to sign the software to identify the publisher of the software and prevent it from altering. The certificate must be renewed each year for a fee of 500 EUR/year.
As already mentioned I already performed this renewal in December. I missunderstood the concept of this renewal and the current certificate actually expired. That is why the software won't start since midnight.
It is actually not possible to extend the expiration date of a certificate. Instead you will get a completly new certificate upon renewal. To prevent the software from expireing (like happened today) it is necessary to include a timestamp. This timestamp was missing. When this timestamp is present it can be checked wheter the certificate was valid at the time the software has been signed. I now included this timestamp and this issue should not reoccur in 2017.

All in all I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Update notes:
In IRIS I additionally fixed an issue with the auto start feature.
kermitt

Post by kermitt »

Just in case anyone else has issues and does not want to update to the latest Tobii drivers. Another user posted this solution in the Kinisic mouse section. I don't want update because I find that project Iris does not play well with Kinisic mouse with the latest drivers from Tobii.

Postby Ikonos » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:04 pm

I actually solve the problem utilizing the initial steps and the steps for solution 1 on this website. http://www.repairwin.com/fix-a-referral ... ver-error/
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

Well, the fix was to update just Iris not the EyeX stuff. So you're ok either way, if I'm understanding you correctly.
Guus

Post by Guus »

I'm happy to read this good project is still running.
But i have 1 question. How can get a new key? I had to replace me motherboard and reinstall Windows.

I did try to send a PM, but that did not work. It gave an error.

Markus, i hope you're still alive because i need IRIS too. ;-)

Greetings,
Guus