FPS View mode

Xcessity
Site Admin

FPS View mode

Post by Xcessity »

Hi,

I just finished a new feature called "FPS View Mode". You can find more information on this feature in this youtube video:

https://youtu.be/tl7wSAdyuW4
Harro

Re: FPS View mode

Post by Harro »

Hello,

Just wanted to say great job !

I am able to play skyrim, thief , fallout 3 and probably allot more ! all thanks to the FPS view mode.
It takes a view hours to get used to it but after a while it starts to feel like a natural way to control the game.

Discovered a small bug. sometimes when i am trying to change the fps view interactors opacity it stays invisible.

Anyways really liking it !

thx
kermitt

Post by kermitt »

Hi Harro,

I'm not sure if thief, sky rim and fallout three have much intense aiming? Do you have any problems getting directly on your target?

I've tried it in the witcher three and found it very playable. Ive also tried it in grand theft auto five and found that it just wasn't accurate enough to shoot at any sort of distance. I did find that I could look just a little bit up just a little bit to one side of my target and the crosshair would drift over the target but by the time I managed to aim right I was already being shot. I'm still playing with it whenever I have a chance and hopefully I will be able to come up with some sort of solution. I'm thinking eye tracking to get in the general vicinity and head tracking for that last little bit of accuracy.

Planning to post a video when I get it working well.
Harro

Post by Harro »

Hi,

the games i mentioned do not require accurate aiming.
I play them as melee/sneak/stealth so i don't really need the accuracy you might need in a first person shooter.
Personally i don't play allot of shooters. It would be nice if the Auto Aim that most games support when using a controller, would turn on when using the FPS view mode. But i am guessing that's impossible to implement...

Because you mentioned GTA maybe you find this interesting, saw this on the Tobii eyex forums. A mod that allows you to control the camera and aim in GTA V with your eyes.
http://developer.tobii.com/community/fo ... -the-eyex/

I am interesting to see how you will combine the head-tracking and eye-tracking this might also be useful for turn based rpg's where you need a little more accuracy to click on small items/buttons. Can't wait for the video !
kermitt

Post by kermitt »

Harro wrote:
It would be nice if the Auto Aim that most games support when using a controller, would turn on when using the FPS view mode. But i am guessing that's impossible to implement...
Actually, I think this is possible and I will be testing it soon-ish. By using X360CE the game thinks you have a controller connected and autoaim can be turned on. Not sure how Iris will work with it though. Marcus might need to change something.
Video of X360CE setup with kinesic mouse (but suspect u can use it without kinesic and unbind all?).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7Q-bDgvlOY
Harro wrote: Because you mentioned GTA maybe you find this interesting, saw this on the Tobii eyex forums. A mod that allows you to control the camera and aim in GTA V with your eyes.
http://developer.tobii.com/community/fo ... -the-eyex/
Cool I`ll check it out when I can.
Harro wrote: I am interesting to see how you will combine the head-tracking and eye-tracking this might also be useful for turn based rpg's where you need a little more accuracy to click on small items/buttons. Can't wait for the video !
Already combined with head-tracking and eye-tracking for accuracy in RTS games. Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px4Y5xEEOfI
kermitt

Post by kermitt »

I can confirm that project Iris FPS mode works with auto aim in the FPS game Dishonoured.

I guess it`s fairly standard for auto aim and no reflection on FPS mode but it does not always target where I wanted to for example it may target the body or an arm or leg when I was looking at the head.

I have also been able to set up a voice command in VoiceAttack that can switch between FPS mode in project Iris and head tracking. This way I can look at the enemy I wish to take out and then switch to head tracking in order to zoom in for a headshot.

Still got a fair bit of fine tuning to do before I am happy enough to do a video. Hopefully within the next few week's. Not sure if it works with other games at this stage but it definitely works well with auto aim in dishonoured.

Marcus, what program are you using to overlay the video of yourself over the top of Portal two?
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Hi Harro,
Harro wrote: Discovered a small bug. sometimes when i am trying to change the fps view interactors opacity it stays invisible.
thank you very much about the feedback. I tried to find the issue but so far I could not reproduce it. Do you have any hints when this happens? Any set of actions you did before would help me a lot here. Thank you in advance.

Best,

Markus
Harro

Post by Harro »

Xcessity wrote:Hi Harro,
Harro wrote: Discovered a small bug. sometimes when i am trying to change the fps view interactors opacity it stays invisible.
thank you very much about the feedback. I tried to find the issue but so far I could not reproduce it. Do you have any hints when this happens? Any set of actions you did before would help me a lot here. Thank you in advance.

Best,

Markus
It happens after playing Skyrim for a while with FPS view. The interactor stays invisible. No way to make it visible again i'll have to make a new one.
Also iris hotkeys don't work in skyrim (the game also stops my keyboard volume up/down keys etc from working) However i am using a key that i have to keep down for the FPS view interactor to activated, that some how does work :>.(using voice attack to keep the key 'K' pressed in)

just remembered that my monitor is 1680 width show on the interactor. Because i feel like the horizontal movement vs the vertical movement are different when the height is smaller i made sure that the height resolution of the interactor is 1680 as well. so W1680 en H1680. Not sure if that has anything to do with it disappearing.

anyways after playing for a while i can't bring back the interactor to the visible realm ^^

grz Harro
kermitt

Post by kermitt »

Hi guys,

So I uploaded a video to YouTube showing Dishonoured and how I play using FPS mode, kinesic mouse and auto aim.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8heyJmCydI

It essentially shows how it works but also how the aiming works when there is no auto aim to assist. Which is nowhere near as good.

I have tried four games and the only one to work with auto aim is Dishonoured. Dishonoured actually has a mouse mode auto aim in its settings which is unusual for an FPS. Most other games only have auto aim enabled when using a controller.

Grand theft auto five auto aiming does not work with project Iris as it only works with controllers. It does detect kinesic mouse as a controller and the auto aiming does work with kinesic mouse only if project Iris is not open.

Auto aiming does not work with either project Iris FPS mode or kinesic mouse in either Metro 2033 or Bioshock infinite. The auto aiming functions are set up for controllers in these games.

Not sure if there is anything you can do Marcus to make the games detect project Iris FPS mode as controller input rather than mouse input? Or perhaps figure out another way to enable auto aim in FPS games... Then auto aim and aim assist may be available in a greater range of games and it would be significantly more useful.
grantrogers

Post by grantrogers »

Hi there,

First off, great job on the FPS feature..I'm trying it out with Crysis :D

Something I would like to have been able to do is configure a 'reverse' deadzone so that when I look at the bottom
of the screen to check ammo, map, etc.. the view doesn't move.

Currently, the way is works is the other way around which is not really ideal for me.

Ideally, we could have a custom deadzone, so as not to chop off the top of the screen as well.

Perhaps it can be configured by a negative value is some config file?

Anyway, nice going so far..I continue to play around