Assistive technology idea

Ikonos

Assistive technology idea

Post by Ikonos »

Can you make an app for android and iOS tablets that utilizes the camera on the front of the tablet that uses facial gestures and motion to control a on-screen pointer. Right now I need to have my tablet mounted in a way that I can reach the tablet with a stick that I hold with mouth and use head movement to move the stick to and across the screen.
Xcessity
Site Admin

Re: Assistive technology idea

Post by Xcessity »

I agree that mobile devices would benefit a lot from head and facial gesture control. Currently there is no tracking available that is robust enough in 2D to realize such feature. Still it might be a coincidence that I may get access to a new tech that could enable such a feature. Bottom line is, that I have an eye on this, as the demand for mobile device control is quite huge. Thank you for the suggestion, let's keep this in mind.
Rytterfalk

Post by Rytterfalk »

I second the request for iPad support. Especially with the iPad Pro in the midst with it's huge screen it will be very useful for disabled people. I would also like to see Mac support! :)

I'm working with computer sales (mac) and I have a few customers with only head movement (eye, mouth, voice) as their only tool and boy is it hard to find a good working solution for them. There are a few silly head trackers out there but what I've seen from you guys - that's completely different and so so much better. Looking forward to see what's available in my world from you.

When you need a perfect test subject then please let me know. :)
Ikonos

Post by Ikonos »

Is there anyway you could create an app and use Tobi eyex as the input?
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

@Ikonos: that is very hard to pull off. There are several reasons for that. Once the device is USB and will only run on a Windows OS PC. Second the EyeX need's to be calibrated to a screen. Although once this calibration is complete you could also use the eyetracker without the screen.

So all in all I would consider it as impossible atm. We will see, maybe the next iPhone will include an eyetracker as Apple is out of options anyway ;)
Ikonos

Post by Ikonos »

http://www.tobii.com/tech/products/Platforms/

Check out this page, and click under Tobii IS4 platform. I think this new one might be possible to work with tablets.
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Hi,

yes I have seen this one. I am intrigued by the specifications of this module. They also announced face tracking features. We will see which OEMs really integrate this IS4 tracking module. I think tobii announced a notebook by MSI. We should keep an eye on this one.
Guillaume

Post by Guillaume »

Hi,
first, the eyetribe work with android :-)
https://theeyetribe.com
Second, do you know this project ?
http://sesame-enable.com/phone/
akell

Post by akell »