Few questions

Zathras

Few questions

Post by Zathras »

So I'm thinking about getting an EyeX and just had a few questions.

1. Does this require any training before use? Do you have to look at different areas of the screen or are there some settings that need tweaking?

2. Is the signal strength affected by the light in the room? I know with the Kinnect if the sun goes down or if someone shuts/turns on a light.. I have to go into settings and tweak thresholds & whatnot. Is this an issue with Iris as well?

3. What's peoples experience in playing games with your basic WASD controls? Does it work well? Can you move your character around like a regular able-bodied person? I'd be curious to maybe see some screenshots showing where people have their interactors placed for an FPS type game. That's the sort of game I'm really interested in getting to play. Even with Kinnect I'm still limited to top-down rpg rts or point and click type games.

4. Has anyone used this in a tilted or reclined position? I have to be sitting upright to use KM or else I'll get that unhappy face. :( He gets so emotional sometimes lol

I appreciate any feedback anybody has to offer. Thanks
Xcessity
Site Admin

Re: Few questions

Post by Xcessity »

Hi Zathras,

1. Before using the EyeX you need to do a calibration. Calibration means that you need to follow a moving point on the screen with your eyes. This is mostly a one time process. Only if your situation changes drastically it is a good idea to repeat this process.

2. No the EyeX works in the infrared light spectrum. Light does not affect it at all. Only direct sunlight might be problematic. You can also try using the KinesicMouse in IR mode. This may also reduce the need for retweaking any thresholds.

3. I am not exactly sure what you mean. Do I understand that correctly? You got the rotation covered and want to use IRIS for the WASD movement control in an FPS game. Promising "like a regular able-bodied person" functionality would definitely raise false hopes. I do not have any FPS setups yet I can present. If you are interested in a specific game, let me know, I can try some setups and make a video. Also let me know what inputs work for you? How many signals can you use in the KinesicMouse?

4. The EyeX seems to be very picky about a head tilt angle. You have about +-15 degrees tolerance. The only way to get around this is to align the display at the same angle as your eyes. Same with the KinesicMouse, you can also try to tilt the camera at the same angle of your head.
The position of the head must be inside the tracking box of the EyeX. You can get more information about the size from the tobii PC-Eye Explore manual (page 9). It is based on the same hardware as the EyeX.

Just let me know if you have any further questions.
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

1. Easy enough

2. Cool

3. Sort of, yes... but I use Quadjoy for mouse control(can't move my head). So I guess what I asking is if you could efficiently perform wasd movements with interactors in a first person view type game. I didn't really have any particular game in mind, just kind of in general.

As for KM... being I use Quadjoy with it I'm really only able to use 2 gestures, left brow down & right eye blink. I find it tends to mistake brow movements for eye blinks or vice versa so that's why I can't use both eye blink and a brow gesture on the side. And for some reason the squint gestures don't for me.

4. I don't think I'd sit at more then a 15 degree angle, so don't think there will be an issue there.

Thanks Markus... I rather like this forum theme by the way, nice color scheme.
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

So decided to go ahead & buy the eyex and am trying out Iris. It's working great thus far... but one thing I would really like to see added, if possible, would be an eye blink feature. Basically like a kinect gesture where you can close either your left or right eye and it performs an action. Do you think this could be added in a future version? Thanks
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Hi Zathras,

yes I can add that easily. Which actions do you want to bind to blink in particular? Just let me know and I will add this feature asap.

Best,
Markus
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

Well I guess it would depend on the game, can it be user defined? Predominantly I'd use it for jumping or shooting so I won't have to look away from the action. It's kind of tricky to aim while glancing back and forth between an interator and your target especially if its moving or you yourself are moving. Thanks Markus, keep up the awesome work.
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

I just released IRIS 1.7 including the blink detection. You can bind these action:
  1. keyboard key
  2. mouse button
  3. macro
  4. profile switch