User Account Control?

annaek

User Account Control?

Post by annaek »

Can anyone provide an explanation of why Project Iris needs Windows UAC permission? And, more importantly, is there a way to whitelist it so that Windows will no longer treat it as untrusted? I'm experiencing problems trying to use other pieces of assistive technology to interact with the Project Iris user interface. Basically, Windows sees the keystrokes and mouse clicks coming from my assistive tech as software-generated and won't allow them to interact with a program requiring UAC permissions.

I do know that I can turn off UAC. But I'm also asking because, if Project Iris turns out to be very useful to me, I might ask for a copy to use at school and (or even at a future job). And there's no way I'm convincing my university to disable UAC on a school computer. :(
Xcessity
Site Admin

Re: User Account Control?

Post by Xcessity »

Hi,

IRIS needs to have elevated permissions to display the UI in certain windows dialogs and to send inputs to dialogs windows considers critical. A good example would be typing on the Windows On-Screen keyboard using mouse inputs only works with elevated permissions. Or displaying the IRIS main menu on the Windows 8 full screen menu.

Sadly this is not something that can be switched on/off easily. It would require a different build (different .exe) in order to remove this. I don't know any other solutions that turning off UAC to get rid of the initial dialog.

Best,
Markus
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

... And so would disabling UAC also enable 3rd party tools to interact with Iris or will it simply get rid of the prompt?

I believe the same issue is what's preventing me from using autohotkey in conjunction with Iris.
annaek

Post by annaek »

Thanks for the clarification. It is about what I had guessed, but it is good to know for sure. (I guess a letter to Microsoft is in order, since the fault very clearly lies with their decision not to allow assistive tech to work with UAC. Not that I really think it will change anything.)

Anyway, thank you for the speedy response. And also thank you for your work on project Iris! I'm only been experimenting with the trial version for a day, but I am already quite impressed. Even if I can't use it academically due to the UAC issue, I think it has huge potential for allowing me to play a wider variety of video games. (I have a physical disability and can only comfortably operate a couple of physical switches and sometimes a head mouse.)
annaek

Post by annaek »

Zathras: Yes, based on my experience with several different types of emulated input, including Autohotkey, I think UAC is almost certainly causing your problems. (In fact, I usually have it turned off because it is so bad at dealing with AT inputs. I only discovered this issue because I recently reinstalled Windows and had not gotten around to disabling UAC yet.) Turning UAC off should both stop the prompts and fix the interaction issues.
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

Thanks annaek, I'll have to give it another try with UAC off at some point.