Dual action interactors, feature request/idea

Zathras

Dual action interactors, feature request/idea

Post by Zathras »

In the game Fallout 4, they have an interesting way of controlling certain features in the game. I mentioned this in a different thread but basically they use the same key to perform multiple actions in the game. So, for example, tapping r will reload your weapon but holding r a few moments will sheath your weapon instead. Had these actions been assigned each to a different key, I would need twice as many interactors on my screen and may not have enough space to fit everything.

Anyway, I was wondering if there could be a way to make a dual function interactor that would work similarly so I could control other games in the same way. Say for example you had a game that had you push r to reload and v to sheath the weapon. I could set up a single interactor where if I look at it quickly & look away, it would send r but if I focus on it for a moment, it would send v instead. Would this possible?

Another way this would be useful is for quick saving your game. I usually never bother with quick saves because I don't have the room, I just do a hard save on the games pause/esc screen. With this feature I could quick save by glancing at an interactor and get to the pause screen by staring at the same interactor.

I hope I explained the idea clearly, let me know if you need more explanation and if this feature could be added in the future.

Thanks
Zathras

Re: Dual action interactors, feature request/idea

Post by Zathras »

If anyone else is interested, I managed to figure out a way to implement this feature using a macro. It only took me over a year to think of trying this but better late the never I guess. :) Here is a sample...

Code: Select all

<MACRO id="Gaze_OR_Glance">
    <START>
       <VARIABLE id="GAZED" function="SET" value="0"/>
    </START>
    <MAIN>
      <WAIT time="650"/>
      <KEYINPUT behaviour="PRESS" code="0x31"/>
      <KEYINPUT behaviour="RELEASE" code="0x31"/>
      <VARIABLE id="GAZED" function="SET" value="1"/>
    </MAIN>
    <END>  
      <CONDITION>
       <VARIABLECONDITION id="GAZED" condition="NOT_EQUAL" value="1"/>
       <KEYINPUT behaviour="PRESS" code="0x32"/>
       <KEYINPUT behaviour="RELEASE" code="0x32"/>
       <VARIABLE id="GAZED" function="SET" value="0"/>
      </CONDITION>
    </END>
  </MACRO>
In the above example, It will push the 1 key when gazed at and the 2 when glanced at. I only tried this in a text editor as a test, I haven't tried in any game yet. If you use it, make sure "Stop macro on deactivation" is checked.
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

You can stack multiple interactors in the same place, that will ultimately give you dual action interactors.
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

I didn't think interactors could be stacked. Anyway, I'm not sure how that would help, I would only be able to activate 1 or 1 then the other... I couldn't do just the bottom one & not the top or vice-versa. Unless I misunderstand what you mean by stack.

But the macro does do what I want so it's ok. thanks though.