User Account Control

Zathras

User Account Control

Post by Zathras »

Why does the Windows User Account Control warn me every time I start Iris? Can I make it stop doing that somehow, it's rather annoying.

I'm using Windows 10, but it happened on 8.1 as well.
Xcessity
Site Admin

Re: User Account Control

Post by Xcessity »

Hi,

it is indeed very annoying, sadly I have not found any way around this. Both the KinesicMouse and IRIS need to run with so called "elevated" user privileges. That is for several reasons. For example some interface elements need to remain visible during Windows dialogues. In the Windows 8 start screen you will notice that IRIS Interactors or the KM ClickSwitch menu are still visible. You can only do that with elevated privileges.
Applications can only send simulated inputs to other applications that are on the same user rights level or below. Starting with Windows 8 Microsoft made their virtual keyboard an elevated application. So without these elevated privileges it was not even possible to click the keys in the virtual keyboard using any of my tools.

The best way to keep the User Account Control from complaining is to turn it off completely. Personally I don't see any sense in the UAC anyway. Still be aware that there are security risks and you should only do this if you know what you are doing. Here is a guide how to turn off UAC: Guide to turn off Windows User Account Control
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

Ok, no problem. I think I'll just live with it... I'm a little leery with turning off UAC. Thanks
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

So I figured out how to hide the UAC prompt if anyone is interested. You have to create a special shortcut with a program called UAC Trust Shortcut. There is a link down on this page that shows where to get it and how to install it...

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/stop-annoy ... t-windows/

Scroll down where it says UAC Trust Shortcut. Don't follow the instructions up top on that page, that wouldn't work for me with Iris.
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

Just a heads up with the above workaround. After further testing I realize the shortcut will occasionally launch multiple instances of Iris. Aside from that though everything seems to function properly in game as it should.

So just a little something to watch out for if you use this.