Indicator that key is toggled would be nice

TobiX

Indicator that key is toggled would be nice

Post by TobiX »

Hello,

i use some interactors to toggle keys and it is confusing not to see which ones are toggled. I think there should be a color that indicates that a key is currently toggled.

Tobias
Zathras

Re: Indicator that key is toggled would be nice

Post by Zathras »

I second that suggestion.
kermitt

Post by kermitt »

Hi,

I requested this feature a while back from Marcus and he did say that he would work on it I believe but his temporary solution was to use an on-screen keyboard that would show which buttons are pressed.

I ended up using APVKP which can be custom edited to only show the keys that you want. In my RTS YouTube video The only key visible is the shift key (Bottom middle of the screen as you can drag it to wherever you want) as That is the only key that I need to know when it is toggled. It turns red.

https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/pos ... youts.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px4Y5xEEOfI

You can probably use any on-screen keyboard and use a program called Turbo top to ensure that it stays on top during gaming.
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Hi,

thank you for the feedback. I know this sounds like a very simple request, but there is actually quite more to it from a programming perspective. I am actually currently looking into ways to get a notification if a keyboard key was pressed or released. If I want to implement this feature properly we also need to consider that a key can be released by several sources (other apps, the physical keyboard, ...).

I will do my best to make it happen.
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

I may have found a solution for that. It is still some sort of compromise, but I think it is acceptable.

The interactors will indicate if the toggled key is up or down. From now on key toggles will also respect the OS status of a key.

Consider the following scenario:
  1. starting with the A key not pressed (A key is up)
  2. A key gets toggled by IRIS (A key is down)
  3. A key gets pressed and released by another application or the physical keyboard (A key is up)
  4. A key gets toggled again in IRIS. Since IRIS now knows that the key was altered it will press the A key down. (A key is down)
So now that we have the correct state IRIS will always choose the right toggle action no matter if another app (or macro) altered key state.

Now here is drawback:
IRIS will only updated the status of the key once it gets triggered. So the interactor showing the toggle status of the key will NOT update if a 3rd party alters the key state. I looked into retrieving key presses from an OS level but it is kind of a PITA and also tends to mess with the overall performance.
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Just finished the toggle indicator, you can already check it out: IRIS v2.0 beta
TobiX

Post by TobiX »

At first, thanks for considering to solve this one. I know that other applications can change the state of a key but the most important thing is to have any idea of which keys are pressed. Regards. Tobias.