IRIS and KinesicMouse compatibility

Xcessity
Site Admin

IRIS and KinesicMouse compatibility

Post by Xcessity »

Hi,

Georgliu posted a very good question about the compatibility between the KinesicMouse and IRIS.

You can use IRIS simultaneously with the KinesicMouse when using these sensors:
- Kinect (old version)
- Kinect for Xbox ONE (new model)

Project IRIS is **NOT** compatible with the Intel RealSense sensor! This is not a software issue. This problem is actually caused by the infrared emitters of the EyeX and the RealSense camera. Both of these devices operate in the same IR wavelength and override each other.

Best,
Markus
Perpatratur

Re: IRIS and KinesicMouse compatibility

Post by Perpatratur »

Hi,

I was eager to test out the fps abilities of Project Iris and after wondering how you were doing it for a while I finally got it to work (I set up the interactor but was turning eye-gaze on with F4. This made eye control extremely difficult.) Once I had figured that out I tried to use it in conjunction with Kinesic Mouse.

After much trial and error I can see that the Tobii eye x and xbox one kinect are intefering with one another. When both are on tobii eyex really struggles to get a stable capture of my eyes. looking at the "test eye tracking" utility that comes with the eyex you can see how erratic the eye-gaze functionality is. As soon as Kinesic is turned off the eye-gaze returns to normal functionality. The software is fine it is definitley sensor issues between the two pieces of hardware. If I simply place my hand over the middle of the xbox sensor, eye-gaze is fine.

I have checked the forums and no-one else seems to be having this problem. Is there anything I need to do to get around it? Any help would be much appreciated as I am eager to test the fps side of things out.

I have included a video of me calibrating with both on and then with just iris.

https://youtu.be/_xzT_5dxmuU

Thanks
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Hi Perpatratur,

so first things first: you are right about that. You will experience some influence in IRIS when the KinesicMouse is on. Still you should be able to get it to a point where you can use all the functionality provided by IRIS.

I cannot really tell what you are using IRIS for (interactors, fps view?), but here are some general tipps:
  1. Recalibrate your EyeX when the KinesicMouse is on. Maybe do a few recalibrations until you are satisfied with the result.
  2. Try to place your interactors at the bottom half of the screen. There the eyetracking is most accurate.
  3. Make your Interactors bigger in size (dahhh ;)
  4. Increase the stabilization filter in IRIS. Go to settings->Advanced->Gaze Point Filter and increase both sliders.

Also I would recommend to switch to the new EyeX 2.0 version. I think they improved the calibration and from my estimation it has better results. You need to update the EyeX via the website as it does not work with the in-app update mechanism. You can get the newest controller drivers from the tobii website.

Hope there is something that helps with your setup.
Perpatratur

Post by Perpatratur »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am currently in the process of downloading the latest software from Tobii. After testing the results are still the same. As can be seen on my video the eyegaze calibration is simply too erratic when the kinect is switched on. As soon as it is switched off the eye-gaze works fine to a high degree of accuracy.

Making interactors bigger is not possible as I was using the fps mode with 1 full screen size actuator. Due to the poor calibration it is impossible to use eye-gaze for mouse style aiming.

Could you or anyone else give me some insight into distances and placement of your eyegaze and kinect?
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Hi,

the position of the EyeX is pretty much fixed. You can only mount it according to tobiis instructions. I have my Kinect below the screen looking upwards to my face. It is about 8cm below the EyeX.
RamPackWobble

Post by RamPackWobble »

You can use IRIS simultaneously with the KinesicMouse when using these sensors:
- Kinect (old version)
- Kinect for Xbox ONE (new model)
My kinect for Xbox one has a model number 1520 – is this the correct model?

By the old version do you mean the connect for the 360?
JBEKM2014

Post by JBEKM2014 »

I am having exactly the same set of problems. The eye tracker and Xbox Kinect are interfering with each other. Did anyone ever come up with a reasonable solution to this problem? I really like the versatility of these systems, but I am getting pretty weary of all of the bugs/kinks/challenges/whatever you want to call them.