Idea: Sounds that indicate a pressed key or leaving deadzone

KinesicMouse forum
TobiX

Idea: Sounds that indicate a pressed key or leaving deadzone

Post by TobiX »

Hello,

i think it would be nice to have the possibility to enable sounds that indicate when a key is pressed. When using analog axis it would be nice to hear when the dedzone was left or entered. Sometimes i don't know when the joystick is centered because i play in fullscreen mode. I think it should be a clicking sound like a microswitch. Maybe a few different to choose from.

I think it could be helpful. What do you think?

Regards

Tobias
Xcessity
Site Admin

Re: Idea: Sounds that indicate a pressed key or leaving deadzone

Post by Xcessity »

Hey Tobi,

yes I am absolutely with you. When I first designed the KM I considered this feature. Back then I thought that you wouldn't actually need that much feedback as you would see the effects in the game. After testing the KM with many games I know that this assumption was wrong. There are many cases where you would need additional (acoustic or visual) feedback on your inputs.

I have not yet wrapped my head around a versatile option using the GUI. I think as a quick solution I can offer to implement a macro command that let's you play a sound file. This would give you lot's of options and IRIS would also benefit from this solution.

I will see what I can do. Expect an update soon.
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

I just finished the update on the macro engine. In the new beta version 3.2.1 you can now play soundfiles using macros. That should give you all the options you need to create good acoustic feedback on all the signals you use.

Downloads:
KinesicMouse v3.2.1 beta (Kinect V2)
KinesicMouse v3.2.1 beta (Intel RealSense)

Currently only the *.wav format is supported. Here is a sample macro:

Code: Select all

<MACRO id="SoundEffect">
  <MAIN>
    <SOUNDEFFECT file="D:\resources\sounds\centered.wav" />
  </MAIN>
</MACRO>
TobiX

Post by TobiX »

Thanks. I will try it soon. I don't have an idea how to use it yet, but i will try it.