Kinect v2 background differentiation

KinesicMouse forum
Ikonos

Kinect v2 background differentiation

Post by Ikonos »

Has there been a solution for kinesic mouse v3 and the Kinect being able to differentiate between the face and the background, such as my face and the pillow behind my head (as I am a quad and unable to that up in a chair without anything behind me)? Does using Intel's real sense make any difference? I have read that getting a camera that utilizes the real sense is not worthwhile due to obtaining SDK files and options along with underutilization because of very few apps.
Xcessity
Site Admin

Re: Kinect v2 background differentiation

Post by Xcessity »

Hi Ikonos,

welcome to the forums.

In the Kinect version of the KinesicMouse there is actually a setting that let's you remove the background. You can do that with a slider that just rids out any pixels that are beyond a certain distance.

The Intel RealSense is a little better detecting a face at close range, even if there is stuff around. Yet, the camera needs to be very close. In terms of apps for the RealSense you are right. There are very few right now, but Intel is very commited to the Intel RealSense so we will see a lot more coming in the future.

So bottom line is, that these situations are hard to predict. I would recommend to give it a try. Did you already try a previous version of the KinesicMouse? The hardware can be obtained at an online retailer where you can return the hardware. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Best,
Markus
Ikonos

Post by Ikonos »

Yes I have been using version 1 of kinesic mouse and I have both v1 and v2 of the Kinect. I would love to use v3 of kinesic mouse but when I tried it on my laptop it would not track my face very well and I think it was because I am a c – 4 quad and I can't sit up which means the pillow behind my head always going to be part of the picture. I am going to try setting the Kinect on the table in front of me with my new all-in-one computer and see if it makes a difference compared to when I had it mounted above my laptop.
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

I see, I see. Yes, pillows can indeed have a bad effect on the tracking. I would still suggest to try it using the background removal feature. If you already have the hardware it should not be too much effort to give it a go. I case you do not have any more demo time drop me a message and I will reset your demo time. Let me know how it goes maybe we can work out another solution together.