Gaming

KinesicMouse forum
Mancasters

Gaming

Post by Mancasters »

Hello,

Were you able to test the games that run with more than 60 frames per second? I have a screen of 120 Hz and would like to know if the latency is low enough to be playable... :)

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Damien
Xcessity
Site Admin

Re: Gaming

Post by Xcessity »

Hi Mancasters,

I am not quite sure how to interpret your question. So I will try to give a few answers:

If you define "latency" as the time that the KinesicMouse needs to pick up your facial expression, you have on average a 16ms delay. The KM is able to sample up to 30fps. So 33ms between each sample where it detects your expressions. If you make the impression randomly between two frames you will get the ~16ms dealy. This is actually a very low latency and barely noticeable. What is more important is that you have to choose expressions that you can perform fast. Eye blinks and lip movements are the fastest in general. Head rotations are very slow.

If you are actually referring to the sampling rate of the mouse cursor when rotating in an FPS game, then I have yet more good news: The KinesicMouse uses some sort of "supersampling" strategy and actually moves the mouse cursor at a frame rate that is beyond 100 fps. So mouse cursor movement is always very smooth.

If you mean that the KM will slow down the game FPS. Well, that actually depends on your hardware. The KM is quite CPU intense. Still on a computer that with decent hardware you can run a state of the art game and the KM without any frame drops.

Let me know if I got your question right with any of those questions.
Best,

Markus
Mancasters

Post by Mancasters »

Thank you for your answers, I look forward to receiving my equipment to get familiar with the KM !
Mancasters

Post by Mancasters »

Hello !

I have received my Kinect !
Now I test the KM in demo at home before buying full version !

Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Hey Mancasters,

oh that shiny new Kinect equipment, looks sweat.

Take your time testing the KM. Let me know if you have any questions. If you want to control anything specific, let me know. Maybe I can give you some useful tips in creating a good setup. It helps when you tell me what you are trying to do.

Excited for your feedback,
Best,
Markus
Mancasters

Post by Mancasters »

First return after a few hours of use I'm really amazed it's just phenomenal! I could replay team fortress 2 without touching the keyboard, just with my mouse in the right hand. I still have work to completely master the moves, but I feel it is quite instinctive.
I also briefly tested on racing games, it's hard but I think it's the same with practice it should be great!
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Hey Mancasters,

omg I can feel your excitement. It may be an ambitios promise, but you will be able to do 100% more with the KM in a few weeks of training and learning. It is amazing to hear to you can play your favorite games.
I already promised a "how to setup" video for Assetto Corsa to Sean. So I will add that video soon. If you let me know which racing game you where trying I can give you some tips maybe.

Best,
Markus
Mancasters

Post by Mancasters »

I must confess that I find it use much more practical than it seems at the start! I have no doubt that within a few weeks I will be totally comfortable with the KM ...
Today I tested a bit on Counter Strike Global Offensive, and given that there are many keys to assimilate I think it will take me more time.
Regarding Assetto Corsa, I have a hard on turns but gradually I feel the hand coming!

However, I have two requests, should I put in the topic Feature Requests?
The first, would it be possible to incorporate a button to reset the default settings?
The second, compared to the configuration of the controller, would it be possible to incorporate images of the most common controllers on the market so that we can better appreciate for the assignment of buttons?

I continue my investigations and I shall certainly make a point regularly!

Thank you !
Damien