Comparison between the Intel RealSense and the Kinect V2

KinesicMouse forum
Xcessity
Site Admin

Comparison between the Intel RealSense and the Kinect V2

Post by Xcessity »

Hi,

so now that the KinesicMouse also supports the Intel RealSense Camera it is of course a big question which one to get.

Generally you can get a device that has the Intel RealSense camera already built in, just like a normal webcam. So if you are looking for a new device anyways it might be a good idea to look for this feature. You can find a list of the available devices here: Intel RealSense Devices.

The pro’s of the Intel RealSense camera are:
+ the external version is only 99 EUR
+ it tracks with up to 60 fps (in infrared mode)
+ it works on really close distances
+ does not require an external power supply
+ small size

The drawbacks compared to the Kinect V2 are:
– it is not compatible with Project IRIS
– it does not work all that great on distances larger than 60cm
- the external version is officially an SDK version and can only be bought via Intel
- requires a full powered USB 3.0 port (does not work on a USB hub)

So back to the question which one to get:
If you are using the KinesicMouse in a desktop environment I would still recommend the Kinect V2. Overall it is more flexible in range as it also does a great job when tracking a face at larger distances.

The Intel camera is great if you want to use it with a laptop. It is possible to clip it onto the screen very close to the face. In any case you can also use this camera in a desktop environment as long as you maintain a close distance.

If you have any further question let me know. I can quickly assess any uncertainties as I have all three versions available,
Best,

Markus
Xcessity
Site Admin

Re: Comparison between the Intel RealSense and the Kinect V2

Post by Xcessity »

Hey,

ok, it might be important to elaborate "close range" for the Intel RealSense camera:

With close range I mean a distance between 25-45 cm (~10-18inches). If you place the camera on top of a notebook screen this distance is usually fine.

In a desktop environment with a big external monitor the situation is different. The range of the RealSense is too short to place the camera on top of the screen. So you might need to actually place it in front of the screen so that it is close enough to your face. For desktop setups the Kinect is usually the preferable device and the RealSense is ideal for laptop scenarios.

Also note that the USB cable of the Intel RealSense camera is really short (120cm or 47inch). So you might want to consider using a USB 3.0 extension cord when using peripheral Intel RealSense camera.

Best,
Markus
X-Calibar

Post by X-Calibar »

Do you think the RealSense R200 3d camera might be supported in the future?
It has a longer range, but not sure if it will support what is needed...
https://software.intel.com/en-us/realsense/devkit

But, even if it is; it still wouldn't be compatible with IRIS?
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Hi,

I have already preordered the R200 and it does not ship just yet. So I have not yet had the possibility to test this camera. The tech. specs of this sensor look better in terms of range. Yet you cannot tell how good it will work without testing.

One major issue is that the R200 will be a rearfacing camera in all consumer devices and therefore it won't be useable for face tracking. The only option is to buy the developer version which may be an external USB device. Not optimal but we will see how it works.

I have my eyes on several 3D cameras atm. We might see a very cool sensor by the end of this year. So that's the neat thing, the KM just gets better and better as we see new camera models.

Best,
Markus
Ikonos

Post by Ikonos »

I have noticed using the Intel real sense that my cursor tends to wander a lot more. I'm not sure if it's just because I'm not close enough/positioned correctly or I have setting wrong or something is wrong with the software itself.
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Hey,

hmm usually the Intel camera delivers the same results in quality as the Kinect.

You have to be careful though with a few things:
  • distance is important, the Intel tracking gets jaggy once the distance between the sensor and the face gets to big
  • the IR of the Intel camera sometimes interferes with other artificial light sources (rare, but possible)
Certa

Post by Certa »

Is the Kinect v2 the same as the kinect for Xbox One? Does the standard Xbox one work the same?
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Yes, these two are exactly the same. The "Kinect V2" bundle is actually discontinued. If you get the "Kinect for Xbox One" and "Kinect for Windows Adapter" you have the same Hardware as it was bundled in the "Kinect V2".
sshurato

Post by sshurato »

hey man, sorry to post an a old thread
i got a question...does the kinect have the 3d object scanner that the realsense has?
looks like the realsense can scan small objects and create a model from them that can be even printed on 3d printers
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Hi ssharuto,

I think what you are referring to is called "Kinect Fusion". With this you can scan 3D things. The difference you mention may be that the object has to be at least 50cm away from the camera to generate depth information. That might be the reaseon why you cannot scan small objects in high detail.