KinesicMouse freezes after a few seconds, I suspect it's because my sensor overheated, but I need a second opinion

KinesicMouse forum
Post Reply
reynirorn
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:02 pm

KinesicMouse freezes after a few seconds, I suspect it's because my sensor overheated, but I need a second opinion

Post by reynirorn » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:30 pm

Hello, everyone. I'm in a bit of a pickle here. The KinesicMouse worked perfectly for a few days, but now I can't use it anymore, since it freezes after a few seconds. I've observed this problem happening on two different computers. I'm using the RealSense SR300 sensor (I bought an SDK version of it from the Intel online store).

After this problem came up, I tested the Intel SDK software that lets you see 3D video of your face. This froze too, after a few seconds.

Since the problem persists on two different computers, and in two different programs, I'm guessing that the problem is that the SR300 has become damaged somehow. I'm guessing that the damage happened due to overheating, since the sensor became burning hot while I was using it (I could only touch it for about 4 seconds). I assumed that this burning hot temperature was the normal operating temperature of the sensor, since I was using it in a completely normal way (clipping it on top of an LCD monitor in a room that had normal temperature and humidity). But now that it has stopped working, I suspect that Intel sold me a 1-in-100 defective sensor, or maybe that the slight heat exhaust from my LCD monitor is enough to push even a non-defective SR300 unit over the edge.

Do you guys have any recommendations about what to do next? Should I buy another sensor, since the SDK version of the SR300 sensor is kind of a beta version? And if so, which one is the best option, the Kinect, the Razer Stargazer, or the Orbbec Astra?
reynirorn
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:02 pm

Re: KinesicMouse freezes after a few seconds, I suspect it's because my sensor overheated, but I need a second opinion

Post by reynirorn » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:57 pm

I just spotted the thread about a recent Windows update messing up the SR300... maybe the SR300 didn't overheat after all, maybe that Windows update just fucked things up. I seem to recall installing the update somewhere around the time when things stopped working...
User avatar
Xcessity
Site Admin
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 2:23 pm
Location: Graz
Contact:

Re: KinesicMouse freezes after a few seconds, I suspect it's because my sensor overheated, but I need a second opinion

Post by Xcessity » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:54 am

Yes, it is the last major windows update, called "Creators Update". Intel and Microsoft are both aware of the problem, still they haven't provided a solution for this issue for months now. Intel promised a new working driver for the SR300, still no updates on this one. The solution they offer is to roll back the updat, which is not acceptable IMO.

I'll keep you updated.
reynirorn
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:02 pm

Re: KinesicMouse freezes after a few seconds, I suspect it's because my sensor overheated, but I need a second opinion

Post by reynirorn » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:47 am

Xcessity wrote:Yes, it is the last major windows update, called "Creators Update". Intel and Microsoft are both aware of the problem, still they haven't provided a solution for this issue for months now. Intel promised a new working driver for the SR300, still no updates on this one. The solution they offer is to roll back the updat, which is not acceptable IMO.

I'll keep you updated.
Thanks very much for the reply, it's a big relief (and a huge help, obviously) to know what the problem is. I'm just going to go ahead and buy a Kinect sensor, I don't really trust Intel to do anything any time soon.
smvs006
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:58 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: KinesicMouse freezes after a few seconds, I suspect it's because my sensor overheated, but I need a second opinion

Post by smvs006 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:33 am

I had the issue with the Windows Creators update. I originally rolled back the update which did not resolve the issue. I then reinstalled Windows from a backup I made when I originally received my new laptop then completely uninstalled and reinstalled the Intel drivers which resolved the issue. Shortly afterwards Windows reinstalled the update via the automatic update process forcing me to reinstall windows again. The only method I found to prevent automatic update from reapplying the Creators update is to define your WIFI connection as metered since Windows will not automatically download updates over a metered connection without first asking for permission. Hope this helps.
reynirorn
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:02 pm

Re: KinesicMouse freezes after a few seconds, I suspect it's because my sensor overheated, but I need a second opinion

Post by reynirorn » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:56 am

smvs006 wrote:I had the issue with the Windows Creators update. I originally rolled back the update which did not resolve the issue. I then reinstalled Windows from a backup I made when I originally received my new laptop then completely uninstalled and reinstalled the Intel drivers which resolved the issue. Shortly afterwards Windows reinstalled the update via the automatic update process forcing me to reinstall windows again. The only method I found to prevent automatic update from reapplying the Creators update is to define your WIFI connection as metered since Windows will not automatically download updates over a metered connection without first asking for permission. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the help, that's very useful to know (especially the trick about the metered wifi connection). One noob question, though, if I may... I heard somewhere that it's dangerous to not update to the latest version, since then you're open to the latest security vulnerabilities that have been discovered. I don't know if this point is true or not, though... it's just something I heard. What do you guys think?
smvs006
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:58 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: KinesicMouse freezes after a few seconds, I suspect it's because my sensor overheated, but I need a second opinion

Post by smvs006 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:28 pm

In my opinion it's always better to be current on Windows maintenance but in this instance I would rather have the ability to use KinesicMouse. Just make sure you have a current backup or you can switch to the Kinect for Xbox ONE which is certainly inconvenient for laptop users.
reynirorn
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:02 pm

Re: KinesicMouse freezes after a few seconds, I suspect it's because my sensor overheated, but I need a second opinion

Post by reynirorn » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:08 pm

smvs006 wrote:In my opinion it's always better to be current on Windows maintenance but in this instance I would rather have the ability to use KinesicMouse. Just make sure you have a current backup or you can switch to the Kinect for Xbox ONE which is certainly inconvenient for laptop users.
I agree... *sigh* I wish Intel would just fix the damn driver so we wouldn't have to pick the lesser of two evils... blerf... oh well, here's to them fixing it soon *raises glass* = P
Post Reply