Does anyone know if KinesicMouse + RealSense SR300 will work *well* with a sixth generation i5 laptop CPU (i5 6xxx)?

KinesicMouse forum
reynirorn

Does anyone know if KinesicMouse + RealSense SR300 will work *well* with a sixth generation i5 laptop CPU (i5 6xxx)?

Post by reynirorn »

Hi everyone. The specs that I mentioned in the title of the post are the minimum specs (as stated by Intel) for using the SR300. But my experience with computers has taught me that the "minimum specs" often give you an awful user experience and that it's better to go with the "recommended specs".

So yeah, what are the specs I need to actually get a *good* experience while using the KinesicMouse with the RealSense SR300? I need to buy a new laptop to be able to use the KinesicMouse, and I don't want to just blindly overspend and buy the best laptop CPU in the world "just to be safe". That would be dumb :-P

P.S. Other than the KinesicMouse, I'm not going to be running anything too heavy on the computer. Just doing software development. And I'll probably turn off the KinesicMouse and stand up from the computer while it's doing any heavy-duty compiling.
smvs006

Re: Does anyone know if KinesicMouse + RealSense SR300 will work *well* with a sixth generation i5 laptop CPU (i5 6xxx)?

Post by smvs006 »

I was running the KinesicMouse with the SR300 on an I5-6300 and the CPU ran at about 60% busy with nothing else running. I recently upgraded to an I7-7700k and the CPU now runs at 20%. Hope this helps.
reynirorn

Re: Does anyone know if KinesicMouse + RealSense SR300 will work *well* with a sixth generation i5 laptop CPU (i5 6xxx)?

Post by reynirorn »

smvs006 wrote:I was running the KinesicMouse with the SR300 on an I5-6300 and the CPU ran at about 60% busy with nothing else running. I recently upgraded to an I7-7700k and the CPU now runs at 20%. Hope this helps.
Thanks very much for the info!

One other question, if I may... when you were using your i5-6300, with the KinesicMouse taking up 60% of the CPU, could you still do web browsing with a lot of tabs open (say, ten or so tabs) without the mouse getting all choppy, imprecise, or laggy on you?

(Web browsing with a lot of tabs open is the heaviest task that I'll ever be doing on that laptop, that's why I'm asking.)
smvs006

Post by smvs006 »

I would typically have around 5 tabs open when browsing and never had any issues. This was an HP laptop with 8gb of memory and I never experienced any performance issues with my typical daily activities which also included playing games like Hearthstone.
reynirorn

Post by reynirorn »

smvs006 wrote:I would typically have around 5 tabs open when browsing and never had any issues. This was an HP laptop with 8gb of memory and I never experienced any performance issues with my typical daily activities which also included playing games like Hearthstone.
Nice, that's extremely useful to know! Thank you!