Kinect v1 works but KinesicMouse doesn't

KinesicMouse forum
scratchlaw

Kinect v1 works but KinesicMouse doesn't

Post by scratchlaw »

Greetings forum,

After much trial and error, I finally got my Kinect v1 working. I used the Kinect studio and Kinect Explorer (developer programs) to make sure that the problem was not with my Kinect. But for some reason the KinesicMouse program still says "face tracking failed." Anyone know why this would be? From what I read, it should have been easier for the KinesicMouse to work rather than the lengthy steps and drivers needed for the Kinect developer studio to work. I can view myself in the Kinect developer program in 30 FPS.
scratchlaw

Re: Kinect v1 works but KinesicMouse doesn't

Post by scratchlaw »

I wanted to update real quickly that now I can finally see myself in the KinesicMouse program, but it still says face tracking failed. My FPS is around 7 or 8. I read the FAQ on potential FPS problems, and I'm not sure why my FPS is low. How can I tell if my CPU is the problem? Also, when I go into settings --> system I am unable to choose "kinect" and thus I am unable to change it to infrared mode. Am I doing something wrong?
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

You need to download an older version of the KinesicMouse to run it with the old Kinect generation. Be advised that the new KinesicMouse is much better with the newest 3D camera generation and is not compareable to the old version!

Go to http://kinesicmouse.xcessity.at/demo_download.php and click on "Previous Kinect V1 version".

You need to have the developer programs installed (as you already did) to use the "Kinect for XBox 360". When you see a working camera picture in the KinesicMouse make sure that the Kinect is at least 1 meter away from your face. The depth camera cannot pick up any distances that are lower than 1 meter.

Hope that helps,
Best,
Markus
scratchlaw

Post by scratchlaw »

Think you so much for letting me know, Markus. If this works as well as you have demonstrated, I will definitely purchase a new 3-D camera in order to use the updated version.
Update: I believe I did download v1 the first time. I clicked on your link which took me to the regular download page. That I scrolled down to where it says previous V1 version, and downloaded that. Is this the file that should be downloaded: kinesicmouse2_setup ?

Perhaps my problem is the depth. The development software could pick up my depth, but the camera may have been too close. Is that possible?
scratchlaw

Post by scratchlaw »

It's working! I don't know why it only 8 FPS, but at least I'm able to test it. Thanks.