How can I reset to original settings? Please Help!

KinesicMouse forum
ljtea240

How can I reset to original settings? Please Help!

Post by ljtea240 »

Hi! First off thanks for making such a useful tool I hope I am able to get it to work properly. I'm new and just downloaded the trial version for my mom's new laptop that has a Real Sense camera. It started out working fine when I first tried it but my mom has ALS and can't move her head so I thought I would tweak it a bit so that she might use facial expressions to move the mouse instead of head rotation. I watched one the tutorial videos on how to change some of the settings and proceeded to alter settings under "Signals" and "Joystick." I thought I was doing it correctly but now I can't get the mouse to move at all so I obviously really messed things up. I’d like to restore it back to the original settings so it at least works again and she can try it out. Is there a way to do this? If not could you please post screen shots of what the settings should look like in the settings for “Joystick” and what the Signals page for “Joystick” first looked like? I sent a message too for help but haven’t heard back yet. I also thought about uninstalling it then reinstalling it to get it to reset but I'm not sure if it will allow me to because of the trial version.
Thanks, Angie
Xcessity
Site Admin

Re: How can I reset to original settings? Please Help!

Post by Xcessity »

Hi Angie,

to return to the original settings you need to delete a file that is called settings.xml. Stop the KinesicMouse and delete this file which is located in C:\Users\[**USERNAME**]\AppData\Local\Xcessity Software Solutions\KinesicMouse RS
Start the KinesicMouse and it will restore the settings with the default setup that you also get when installing the software from scratch.

Your trial time is not dependent on the installation. You can reinstall the app as often as you like, the settings are persintant though. So it is better to go with the explanation above.

To move the mouse cursor with the mouth you need to use the mouse mode called "Mouse (continous)". You can set this in the main window. You can assign different signals in Settings->Mouse Cursor->Mouse (continous).

Hope this helps,
best,
Markus
ljtea240

Post by ljtea240 »

Hi Markus,

Thank you for your help. I deleted an xml file called settings within the Kinesic mouse files but I was unable to locate the exact location that you mentioned. After deleting that file it still didn't allow me to move the mouse through any head movement so I'm not sure if I deleted the correct xml settings file, however I don't see another one. I am attaching some screen shots so maybe you can see if one of the settings is off.
Also, before I deleted the settings xml file I did try changing the mouse mode to continuous but the mouse cursor then just went continually down without me doing anything so I wasn't able to quite get that working properly either.

Thanks again!
Angie
ljtea240

Post by ljtea240 »

Okay, I think I got it back to the original settings. But, I still will need to play around with the settings to see if I can get it to work for her since she can't move her head.
Do you know of individuals who are able to use this program successfully when they are unable to rotate their heads?
If so, there a tutorial or instructions somewhere that I could possibly see to help me get it operational for her?

Thanks again!
Angie