Intel RealSense SR300 camera

KinesicMouse forum
rob

Intel RealSense SR300 camera

Post by rob »

Hi,

Is the performance of the new Intel RealSense SR300 camera with the KinesicMouse significantly better than all other available cameras and sensors?

Thanks,

Rob
Xcessity
Site Admin

Re: Intel RealSense SR300 camera

Post by Xcessity »

Hi,

yes. From my personal experience I rate the RealSense SR300 currently the best sensor. Compared to the previous model it has improved a lot (see screenshot attached). Compared to the Kinect the Intel cameras can be placed much closer to the face, as they do not have a minimal distance. This is helpful for the facetracking, as the facial area is represented by more pixels in the whole camera picture.

Is it worth to upgrade? I don't think so. Any of the currently supported 3D sensors delivers good signal quality. The Intel SR is only slightly better.

For a stationary PC I would still recommend getting a Kinect v2. It is more versatile in range and IR illumination power. Anything that needs to be mobile the SR300 Intel RealSense is the best way to go.

Best,

Markus
rob

Post by rob »

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
From the specs it says there has been quite a big improvement in range for the RealSense SR300 camera.

Can it still not compete with the Microsoft Kinect v2?

Thanks,

Rob
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Hi,

it is very hard to tell if the SR300 outperforms the Kinect. Currently I don't have any feedback on the Intel RealSense SR300, as there are not many users yet. So I can only derive a conclusion from my own experience. So we have only a single testsample and therefore it is highly subjective.

I can only say that: yes the signal quality seems to be better.
Is it worth to upgrade: probably not, as the deifference is too subtle

Again, as I receive feedback from users it get's much easier to tell weather the tracking is better in terms of tracking robustness, tracking with nose masks, tracking beards and glasses and so on.
rob

Post by rob »

Hi,

Do you think the SR300 is at least as good as the Kinect? What is a nose mask, does that mean using the software to track the nose area of the face?
I don't use the software yet so don't know the terms used in it.

Thanks
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Hi,

Nose masks are used when you need a ventilator for breathing. The nose mask is usually a peace of plastic attached to a ventilator machine via tubes. These nose mask tend to cover quite a big area in the users face, so it is hardly predictable how good the tracking will work.

The SR is surely at least as good as the Kinect. I would choose the device depending on the range you are planning to use the camera. If you can manage to put the camera close to your face (<90 cm) I would recommend the Intel camera. Everything beyond 90cm you are better off with the Kinect. Also pay attention to the hardware requirements of the two devices!
rob

Post by rob »

Hi,

Ok thanks for the info. I have a headmouse extreme, how does kinesic mouse with a recommended camera or sensor compare to that in accuracy and speed? I know kinesic mouse has more functionality and does not require a reflective dot but I'm interested in how they compare for accuracy and speed?

Thanks
AkiNaToR

Post by AkiNaToR »

I buy a software but now I have a new problem...

I want buy Intel RealSense SR300 Camera but my country is not on Intel shipping list. Razez Starzgazer was delay to Q3 2016.

Any using advice?
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

@rob: The headmouse extreme is a little more accurate for mouse cursor movement. The headmouse extreme was solely built for mouse cursor movement and it can do just that. If you are already used to that system you can combine it with a Kinect V2 KinesicMouse system and use the best from both worlds. There are actually quite a few users that use this combination.

@AkiNaTor: I am sorry, but unfortunately there is not much I can do here. You will either have to wait for the first consumer devices or get an Xbox Kinect V2. The Razer Stargazer seems to be the first consumer camera. I hope it will release soon.
Ikonos

Post by Ikonos »

@AkiNaToR or if you can find the camera on a website like Amazon or eBay that will ship to your country.