Future New User

KinesicMouse forum
DarkkPhenixx

Future New User

Post by DarkkPhenixx »

Hello Guys,

My name's Matt, I live in the USA and have Spinal Muscular Atrophy. I'm very excited about discovering KinesicMouse and would be grateful if you could connect me with disabled gamers who play FPS with KinesicMouse and/or offer some advice. My dream would be to play GTA5 or The Witcher 3 on my PC. I am able to use a mouse with my right hand but my left hand is very weak and can only manage pressing two letters on my mini-keyboard. So the main obstacle for me is moving the character (Forward-Backward-Left-Right). I usually use a ventilator with a mouth-piece while I play so Voice recognition softwares might be difficult to use. That's why I thought about KinesicMouse. However, I have very limited head mobility.

Many thanks in advance for any advice and I look forward to exchanging with the community!

Matt
Zathras

Re: Future New User

Post by Zathras »

You might be better off with the Project Iris instead. I'm in a similar situation as you and initially tried KinesicMouse but wasn't really able to play fps type games due to my limited head movement. You can't really fully utilize KM to its fullest extent without head movement and/or with some obstruction in front of your face like a vent or something like that.

I'm currently playing The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim with Project Iris without issue. The way I have it set up is... I rebound the move forward key, w, to left click so I'm able to move and look around with the mouse. Everything else I do is done with the eyegaze interactors that I have positioned around the game window. For example I look left or right to strafe, down to move backward, the corner to jump etc. You should be able to set up something similar for Witcher or GTA.

Hope that was helpful... good luck.
Harro

Post by Harro »

would it not be a better option to use the FPS view interactor instead? So you can look around/aim with your eyes instead of the mouse?
This way you can use one hand for WASD movements/other options left hand and right hand attacks on Q and E for example.
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

Harro wrote:would it not be a better option to use the FPS view interactor instead? So you can look around/aim with your eyes instead of the mouse?
This way you can use one hand for WASD movements/other options left hand and right hand attacks on Q and E for example.
That's another way to do it but I believe he said he was only able to hit two keys... so probably wouldn't work in his case.

And I personally can't use a keyboard at all so that's why I play like I described.
DarkkPhenixx

Post by DarkkPhenixx »

Guys -

Thanks so much for the feedback. This is very useful. I'm actually totally new, just discovering assistive technologies for videogames. I found some interesting stuff on the forum such as a video on Project Iris FPS view mode and the one on Tobii eyeX with GTA. Everything looks awesome but I'm really not sure what to buy and what would answer my specific situation. I'd be so glad to continue receiving your ideas and feedback. Also, if Markus would like to jump in and discuss, that would be awesome.

Zathras: is there any way you could offer more details about your current setup? Can you play very easily? Is it possible to play like that on any FPS? I've never tried Skyrim, is it like any other FPS when you play it? Does it require as much responsiveness?
DarkkPhenixx

Post by DarkkPhenixx »

Quick update: Apart from FPS games, I'm also interested in receiving feedback/ideas of set-ups to play MMORPGs such as Guild Wars 2 or ESO (demanding more movement and responsiveness than World of Warcraft, for example).

Thanks!
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

DarkkPhenixx wrote:Zathras: is there any way you could offer more details about your current setup? Can you play very easily? Is it possible to play like that on any FPS? I've never tried Skyrim, is it like any other FPS when you play it? Does it require as much responsiveness?
I can play fairly decent, I was able to complete pretty much everything in the game and there's lots to do. The game is open world rpg so it kind of adapts to your play style. So it could require much responsiveness if you just run into battle like a crazed barbarian but you don't have to play that way. You can instead be stealthy with a bow and use sneak attacks &/or recruit a follower to fight by your side in which case responsiveness isn't much of an issue.

Ive only recently discovered Markus's toys so I can't say for sure if you'll be able to play "any" fps type game, I imagine some may get to frantic to play in this way. Actually Skyrim is the first actiony FPS game I've ever played.. prior to that one, in terms of FPS, I've only tried puzzle based games like Portal 2 or the Talos Principle. So I'm still discovering what my limitations are.

If you decide you want to try Iris, Markus has links to what you'll need on his site..
http://iris.xcessity.at/index.php