kinesic mouse and facial hair

KinesicMouse forum
Ikonos

kinesic mouse and facial hair

Post by Ikonos »

Is anyone else having problems with certain facial gestures not working or getting poor signal strength due to facial hair?
Xcessity
Site Admin

Re: kinesic mouse and facial hair

Post by Xcessity »

That is a known issue that is not easy to solve. Slight facial hair is usually not a problem but I think your beard is quite big as I remember correctly.

The problem is the 3D data. In the depth image a big beard covers the chin and the head cannot be separated from the body.

So for now the only option is .... shaving. There might be a technical solution, but don't expect that any time soon.
Ikonos

Post by Ikonos »

For the most part the beard and mustache haven't interfered too much. I can get about 16 or 17 commands to work together without any interference of one command into another. However commands that I thought might beard would have no interference with seem to have trouble too. Cheek squint and eye squint are just a couple that don't work properly. I can't get cheek squint to work at all and as far as eye squint goes, it only works if I look directly at the camera. If I'm not looking at the camera the signal is always at its max. The only thing I can think of that may be causing this problem is that I have narrow eye openings.
Xcessity
Site Admin

Post by Xcessity »

Hey,

"16-17 signals without interference" ... you are a true master. Last time I checked I could come up with 14.

Thank you for the feedback. Just to be clear you are now using the Intel RealSense version right? When you look at the depth data (Settings->General->Camera->Display depth) are there any dead pixels in the regions you mention?

Does the beard get picked up in the depth frame?
Ikonos

Post by Ikonos »

As of right now not including rotation I can get –
– Tilt left and right
– transition forward
– brow up center and brow down right
– mouth left and right
– smile left and right
– lip pucker
– jaw forward, open, left and right
– lips upper up left or right (however left seems to work best for me)
– sneer
– puff
I can only use either lip upper up left or sneer not both. I'm not sure if I could use transition left or right and use tilt as well. I think I have tried before and was able to with some limited success.

I am using Intel's real sense camera which is built in to my Acer aspire V 17 Nitro black edition. When I clicked display depth on kinesic mouse it showed my hair and beard as black pixels while my face and mustache were white. Hope this helps.